Ontario launched a legal battle Wednesday to resume talks aimed at resolving an aboriginal occupation that has bitterly divided a community and stoked fears of bloodshed.
Negotiations between Six Nations protesters, the province, and the federal government are "in the public interest" and are "the best way to resolve" the dispute in the southwestern Ontario community of Caledonia, said Attorney General Michael Bryant.
Those talks were derailed Tuesday when Ontario Superior Court Justice David Marshall ordered all parties to halt negotiations until the aboriginals end their almost six-month occupation.
On Wednesday, Bryant said the court had "no jurisdiction to order the parties to cease negotiations" and launched an appeal.
Six Nations residents who have occupied the Douglas Creek Estates construction site since February vowed to stay, regardless of legal rulings and appeals.
In addition to continuing the occupation, the group will decide on Aug. 23 whether to re-erect highway barricades that previously divided the town and sparked violent confrontations with non-aboriginal residents. Source.